I’ll be honest – most of my inspiration for recipes comes from other people. Whether it’s Pinterest, Instagram, or the Food Network, I pull ideas that I like from there, and find a way to incorporate them into my own recipe style. So, after I saw Sam from Frosting & Fettuccine make churros the other day, I ran straight to my to-do list and wrote, “Make churro something.” Creative. However, in that exact moment, boyfriend yelled out into the kitchen, “WAFFLES PLEASE!” Cue the animated lightbulb above my head, because Gluten-Free Churro Waffles can be a thing – right? And oh, baby. Indeed they can.
I also just recently got these little mini waffle makers from Dash, and they are not only the CUTEST things ever, but super functional and quick. I’m talking 30-second-waffles-quick. However, this is all totally not the point of this post (*ahem* go buy the waffle makers) – so let’s get into this recipe. All ingredients are gluten-free, but you should be able to substitute the gluten-free flours with normal baking flours if you wish. You also have the option to make these gluten-free churro waffles vegan. I know a lot of people who use flax eggs as an egg substitute – I have not yet tested that little theory because flax eggs scare me, but I urge you to do so if you’re feeling brave.Print
Crunchy, crispy, churro-y. It’s a word. Have it for breakfast.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Maple Cinnamon spice blend
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Coconut oil spray
- Mix together the wet ingredients in a large bowl
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly
- Heat up waffle maker, and spray with nonstick spray
- Pour batter into waffle maker, and let cook until fluffy
- Sprinkle some Maple Cinnamon spice blend onto a large plate, and roll the cooked waffles around in the cinnamon sugar
- Spray the waffles with a little more coconut oil, and pop them back on the waffle maker for another 30 seconds to make them crispy
- Repeat until batter runs out, and enjoy!
Maple Cinnamon Spice Blend: I purchase mine from FreshJax, but you can easily make this using 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp maple syrup or brown sugar
Keywords: churro waffles, gluten-free waffles, gluten-free breakfast