I’ll be honest – most of my inspiration for recipes comes from other people. Whether it’s Pinterest, Instagram, or the Food Network, I pull ideas that I like from there, and find a way to incorporate them into my own recipe style. So, after I saw Sam from Frosting & Fettuccine make churros the other day, I ran straight to my to-do list and wrote, “Make churro something.” Creative. However, in that exact moment, boyfriend yelled out into the kitchen, “WAFFLES PLEASE!” Cue the animated lightbulb above my head, because Paleo Churro Waffles can be a thing – right? And oh, baby. Indeed they can.
I also just recently got these little mini waffle makers from Dash, and they are not only the CUTEST things ever, but super functional and quick. Like, 30 second tiny waffles quick. However, this is all totally not the point of this post (*ahem* go buy the waffle makers) – so let’s get into this recipe. All ingredients are paleo, but can be substituted with your own gluten free / normal baking flour alternatives. Option to make vegan with a flax egg, but I have not yet tested that little theory because flax eggs scare me, so if you try it, let me know and I’ll make the addendum on this recipe!
1 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Maple Cinnamon spice blend (alt: 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1. Add dry ingredients to a large bowl, and mix together
2. Add egg, water, and vanilla extract to bowl, and mix thoroughly
3. Heat up waffle maker, and spray with nonstick spray (my favorite is the coconut oil spray from Trader Joe’s!)
4. Pour batter into waffle maker, and let cook until fluffy
5. While those are cooking, sprinkle some Maple Cinnamon spice (or just cinnamon + coconut sugar) to a large plate
6. Once the waffles are done cooking, roll them around in the cinnamon sugar
7. Repeat until batter runs out, and enjoy!