My most vivid memory of fall growing up was visiting the local apple orchard with my mom, buying bushels of McIntosh apples for baking apple cakes, apple crisps, and more apple crips, (can you tell I’m an apple crisp gal) and buying a dozen apple cider donuts on the way out. Most of the donuts didn’t make it 24 hours, so we’d rinse and repeat that routine about every month until the frost ended orchard season.
These paleo apple cider donuts bring me back to that! They’re moist, naturally sweet, and are perfect for fall. Some of the ingredients that make them paleo should be easily substituted, but honestly I don’t have anything non-paleo in my apartment, so let me know in the comments if it works lol. Now let’s get to the recipeeee!
1 cup almond flour
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 scoops collagen
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp avocado oil (alt: olive oil)
1/4 cup apple cider
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F
2. Spray a donut pan with coconut oil spray, or wipe with olive oil
3. Add all dry ingredients, except coconut flour, to a bowl and mix thoroughly
4. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl, mix
5. Add coconut flour one tablespoon at a time, and mix thoroughly. This will soak up all of the excess moisture in the bowl
6. Now, there are two ways to fill the donut pan. Either pour the batter into a plastic bag, cut off the corner, and essentially squeeze the batter into each round (only fill about halfway, if you overfill they WILL turn into muffin tops). Alternatively, take a spoon and drop it into each mold as evenly as you can
7. *Pro tip: shake the donut pan back and forth to evenly distribute the batter. I tend to have to bang mine up and down a few times, but just do it on a towel for your ears’ sake.
8. Bake at 350˚ for 12-15 minutes
9. *Remove donuts from molds by sliding a spoon around the bottom of the mold under the donut. They should pop out easily, but if not, that’s my trick!
10. Roll donuts in coconut sugar + cinnamon, and let cool before serving! Enjoy!